Loading

Fast Track into a Traveler’s Wallet

Your search ends here

Tell us what you are looking for and we will help you find it.

travel-news-01-01

Fast Track into a Traveler’s Wallet

Travelers might have to spend more as the Indian Railways are considering the option of increasing rail fares to raise resources for a special safety fund, according to a news report by PTI.

A safety cess will be levied which will be used for upgrading and strengthening the entire railroad infrastructure to prevent mishaps. The Finance Ministry has shown its support for this decision by agreeing to provide 25% of the resources and has suggested that the Railways raise the remaining 75% of resources by increasing the fares.

“Though the Railway Minister is not in favor of raising fares at this juncture when passenger bookings are falling and fares of AC-2 and AC-1 are already on higher side, the reluctance of Finance Ministry to provide a bail-out package has left the minister with no option,” a source said.

The cess on second class, sleepers and 3rd AC will be higher and marginal for second and first AC. A final decision is yet to be taken by the Railways as the specifics of the plan are being worked out.

In recent times there have been frequent occurrences of derailment-  the two recent ones caused heavy causalities. Experts have said that these because of the existing poor infrastructure and outdated signaling system.

The Rashtriya Rail Sanraksha Kosh intends to upgrade to a modern signaling system and increase safety measures at unmanned level crossings. The Railways have also decided to increase the average speed of trains, which makes upgraded signaling necessary.

FERDIN DAAS

A quiet guy who loves reading and listening to music. Got bitten by the travel bug a while back and yearns to explore as many places as possible. Travel! Before you run out of time

LEAVE A COMMENT